The Historic Ione Train Depot
The Ione train depot construction began by The Central Pacific Railroad in December 1876 and was completed in January of 1877. The rail was brought to Ione by her citizens when the railroad couldn't afford the extra expense. The citizens of Ione had the vision and foresight to bring this vital lifeline to Ione. It's construction brought prosperity to the Ione Valley.
Today that same visionary spirit lives on as a number of citizens, railroad enthusiasts and historians have partnered with city to bring new life to the historic depot.
The depot was moved in August 2013 from the Union Pacific's property on Depot Road to the City of Ione's retired corp yard, located on the south west corner of Marlette & Mill St. Preservation of the depot is under construction.
The depot, once restored, may serve as a community event center, historic railroad site and rail park.
The Baldwin Diesel engine, the last engine to run on the Amador Central Railroad, was moved to its new home in June of 2014. The engine and depot are now reunited at the Ione Railroad park.
Join us to be apart of this historic project where In 2013 we moved history and today we are making it!